When I said we make keys to all kinds of things at Steve’s Lock Out I mean ALL KINDS and this job we took on proves it. I would consider this job probably the most unusual I’ve ever done.
|JR Brown Mausoleum|
Just an interesting note, atleast to me, my great-grandfather was caretaker of this cemetery.
I considered this a unique challenge and jumped at the chance although not sure exactly how to tackle this job. I had not worked with a lock of this type and age before. I managed to find another locksmith in another part of the US that had opened one similar to this and had a little infomation on the construction of the lock.
|Bronze Mausoleum Doors|
To replace these doors now would cost in excess of $6,000 so I made careful planning as to how I was going to do the opening. I tried picking the lock for some time to no avail. Between the shear size of the bolt and picking deterrents built into the lock it was futile. This lock is similar to the lever lock we wrote about making the key to on the 8th of June only this one was much larger and had “teeth” on the levers that meshed together so when one lever was picked it was nearly impossible to move the next one to the proper position. It made it obvious that we were going to have to drill an access hole to be able to pick this lock.
|A closer picture of the keyhole|
The date on the mausoleum and what we could see here are the only clues that we had about this lock. From what information that was gathered we took our measurements, checked them again and then began to drill.
|Access hole drilled|
Although it is hard to tell from the picture we came in within 1/32 of an inch of where we needed to be. This was close enough for what we needed to do.
|A big lock|
|The Lock Removed|
Here the lock is removed and the screws are placed back in the door as to not loose them.
|Key for the mausoleum|
|Door and key are finished|